with a guest house, an infinity swimming pool and 3.8 ha, in Burgundy
This house, in the centre of France, can be reached in less than two hours from Paris, Lyon, Dijon or Clermont-Ferrand via TGV train or motorway. This property is to the south of Morvan Regional Nature Park, where an industrialised area meets cattle raising land, interspersed with forest and bocage landscapes. All daily shops and amenities are to be found just two kilometres away from the property.
This villa was constructed in 1898 for the well-known, industrialist Campionnet family, several members of which owned forges in the neighbouring town. Its creation was entrusted to Parisian architect, Charles-Albert-Gautier, renowned for his creations during the 1889 and 1900 World Fairs. This villa exudes an air reminiscent of the Belle-Époque, tinged with a carefree attitude as well as economic and social progress. An impressive, L-shaped building, it spans two levels and a converted attic floor, constructed over cellars. This house is in pristine condition courtesy of the fact that its current owners have spent the last few years renovating it.
An entrance hall, with a fireplace and wainscoting, set in the middle of the building, provides access to the various rooms on this level. Three south-facing, reception rooms feature wide openings, making it possible to take advantage of a view of the surrounding countryside stretching into the distance. One elegant lounge comprises a pink and grey marble fireplace, moulded cornices, wall paintings, reflecting the rural spirit of the house, and chevron pattern parquet flooring. It is followed, in the centre of the south facade, by a smaller dining room. Another relaxing lounge, with parquet flooring, wainscoting and a wooden fireplace, is less formal than the first but just as bright. A corridor provides access to the utility rooms: an ancillary kitchen, a main kitchen, with a back kitchen, a laundry room and a bedroom. These rooms have red brick and straw-coloured floor tiles laid in a chessboard pattern. A study-library, with a stone fireplace topped with the engraving “Bon an, mal an, dieu soit céans” (good year, bad year, may God be with you), also looks out over the wooded parklands.
An oak wood stairway, with a central stairwell and housed in the entrance hall, goes to the upper floors. A vast landing provides access to four suites, each with its own bath or shower room. All spacious with parquet flooring, they feature marble fireplaces and have unobstructed views over the parklands or the countryside.
This floor, with sloping ceilings, comprises three independent bedrooms, a shower room and a separate toilet. A vast suite with two bedrooms, a shower room and a balcony complete this floor.
These cellars run under the entire floor surface area of the house and can be reached via the inside and the outside. One vaulted cellar is used as a wine cellar, another as a larder, the area further away was used for storing coal. It also houses the oil-fired boiler and a 10,000-litre oil tank.
The outbuildings, laid out behind the main house, enclose the main courtyard and were used for the everyday running of the estate.
A long building comprises a renovated guest house, spanning approx. 100 m². It includes a lounge, a dining room, a kitchen and two bedrooms.
Following on is an old stable which houses two horse loose boxes and access to attic space which could be converted. Opposite, an old shed where carriages were once stored, is now used for garage and storage purposes.
The buildings, beyond the parklands, used to accommodate farmyard animals. These have now been transformed to house a changing room, a shower, a toilet and a bar for the swimming pool.
The swiming pool
The design of this swimming pool, 18 m long by 6 m wide, makes it quite unusual. Perfectly integrated into the landscape, its infinity aspect is extended and enhanced by the countryside. There is also a spa.
This property, on a little more than four hectares, is pleasantly laid out around the main house. The vegetable garden and the orchard were the estate’s food-producing areas. Enclosed by walls with an independent entrance off the road, they are laid out over two terraced areas which could be pleasantly developed. The lake and the mature trees in the parklands constitute cool, shady areas. At a distance from the main house, the large, infinity swimming pool, looking out over the countryside, is another of the property’s modern-day comforts.
This villa, far from the much talked-about Burgundy wine-growing region, is the reflection of an industrial era. It is a pleasant family home, in pristine condition, where residents can come during the summer season to relax by the side of the pool, in the shade of the chestnut and lime trees, whilst taking advantage of the peaceful view stretching into the distance. Set amidst fields, its tranquillity and its carefree, easy-going charm are extremely pleasant. Passing guests have made a good choice and a hotel and catering activity could be continued here.
|Land registry surface area||3 ha 77 a 82 ca|
|Main building surface area||550 m2|
|Outbuilding surface area||100 m2|
Gautier Dumontet +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.