A fully restored, 18th century mill, with its millrace and its outbuildings
on a 15-hectare estate, 25 minutes from Tours
Cormery, INDRE-ET-LOIRE center-val-de-loire 37320 FR

Location

In the Centre-Val-de-Loire region, 2¾ hours from Paris via the A10 motorway as well as 25 minutes from Tours and its TGV train station, with 1-hour links to Paris. This estate is in the midst of a countrified setting with undulating landscapes. Nearby is a small bustling town, with local shops and amenities.

Description

The existence of a mill on this site has been recorded since the year 862. In the middle of the 16th century, it was sold to a miller, a friend of Seigneur-de-la-Richardière. Around 1730, the property was purchased by a Mr Boutet, who undertook its reconstruction between 1740 and 1750. A French prefectorial order, dated 1826, indicates that the mill had a wheel and metal mechanics. It then produced flour up until 1936, followed by animal fodder until 1952. In 1962, a restaurant owner from Tours, a great game enthusiast, turned it into a hunting lodge and installed a pheasant farm on the land. In 1993, the mill was purchased by a Canadian lawyer who restored the main building and its annexe buildings over a 12-year period. The miller’s house became an integral part of the industrial section at this time. The current owners continued to enhance the property as well as the gardens and installed a swimming pool. In a little valley, in the midst of the country, this estate extends over almost 15 hectares comprising a poplar grove, farmland, coppice stands, gardens and the 600-metre-long millrace.

The mill

Remodelled in the 18th century, this rectangular mill spans three levels. The miller’s house, set at right angles, spans two levels. Facades are rendered such that the stone is exposed and openings are framed with freestone surrounds. Roofs are covered with slate. The hip roof covering the mill features triangular pediment dormers, whilst the gable roof on the miller’s house is enhanced with a hip dormer. A pavilion protrudes from the garden facade. The main entrance, reached via the courtyard, comprises double, arched, solid wood doors, adorned with ironwork.


Ground floor
A good-sized room is used as an entrance hall, housing a wooden stairway going upstairs. The wheel mechanism and a little lounge share the area that gives access to a dining room which, like the entrance hall, has terracotta floor tiles and exposed ceiling beams. A wide freestone fireplace decorates this room. With stained-glass windows, two doors open, one into a kitchen and, the other, into a summer dining room laid out in the pavilion. Following on from the kitchen is another lounge, with a stairway, stone floor tiles and exposed beams. A door opens on to a terrace on the garden side. A hall area leads, on one side, to a toilet and, on the other, to a back terrace.
First floor
The main stairway goes up to a vast landing room, the centre of which is enhanced with the old grinding stone. It leads to a bedroom, with parquet flooring, and a bathroom, with a toilet. On the other side are two bedrooms, with terracotta floor tiles. One has a bathroom and toilet, the other has a shower room and toilet. The secondary stairway goes up to a bedroom which also has a shower room and toilet.
Attic
A vast room, with sprung parquet flooring and an exposed roofing framework, is currently used as a television room, a study and a reading room.

The outbuildings

These two buildings stand facing the mill and the garden. Between the two, a set of wrought iron gates open into the courtyard, forming the property’s main entrance. Roofs are covered with interlocking and slate tiles. Facades are rendered such that the stone is exposed.


Barn
The barn faces the mill and closes the courtyard. On one side, it is converted into a vast garage, with a boiler room and a storage area, with an attic above. On the other side, a self-contained flat spans a surface area of 67 m², with a kitchen on the ground floor and three bedrooms, a shower room and a toilet upstairs.
Outbuilding
This building comprises several rooms on the ground floor, including a woodstore, two vaulted wine cellars, an old press-house, a workshop and a kitchen-laundry room, with a shower room and toilet. On the first floor, a 110 m² function room, with a freestone fireplace, is laid out under an exposed roofing framework.

The parklands

Spanning almost 15 continuous hectares, these parklands are composed of a poplar grove and coppice stands bordering the mill. Land lying fallow stretches into the distance. Opposite the entrance, an orchard stretching out alongside the millrace is enclosed by hedges. Inside the property, the garden abounds in flowers around the swimming pool and is shady alongside the stream. The viewpoints over the property and the surrounding countryside are varied, courtesy of the numerous terraces dotted throughout the estate.

Our opinion

From the millrace to the mill, water has flowed and time passed here in line with the harvests and the seasons for more than a thousand years. Once essential to the life of the community, this estate has now become a pleasant country home, just a few minutes from a village with all shops and amenities. Fully restored, the building bridges the gap between the eras, combining the comfort of a modern home with the authenticity of the original premises. The presence of an independent house is a promising asset, whether for receiving family or for creating a tourist activity. Hosts and guests can take advantage of the swimming pool during clement weather and stroll amongst the flowerbeds of this 15-ha property.

Exclusive sale

1 330 000 €
Fees at the Vendor’s expense


See the fee rates

Reference 822566

Land registry surface area 14 ha 82 a 46 ca
Main building surface area 390 m2
Number of bedrooms 7
Outbuilding surface area 450 m2
including refurbished area210 m2

French Energy Performance Diagnosis

Consultant


Éric Baudran +33 1 42 84 80 85

contact

Share

send to a friend Pinterest linkedin Facebook

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.

By continuing your navigation, you accept the use of cookies to offer you services and offers adapted to your centers of interest and to measure the frequentation of our services. Learn more