an IMH listed castle, stud farm and nineteen houses on a 140 ha estate
North of the Cotentin peninsula, in an unspoilt natural environment and less than fifteen minutes from the sea and the beaches. Paris is just three hours away by car or by train. Cherbourg and its shops, its harbour and ferries for England is a quarter of an hour away.
Somewhat away from the castle are the buildings of a model farm (one of the most modern and significant in France in the 1820s). It was a farm school in the mid-19th century and its 16 different outbuildings are now currently houses.
The property includes a stud farm dating back to 1867 with all the specific fixtures, built of grey shale and red brick alternating with ashlar blocks and covered by a slate roof just like the stalls and castle service quarters. “Sancy”, one of the most famous horses here and winner of numerous prizes in France and abroad is buried in the English landscape park created at the beginning of 19th century when it was transformed from a French style garden.
Nothing is missing: large windy paths, clusters of trees, several ponds, one of which has water lilies, an island and a river, an arboretum of more than two hundred species, mainly exotic conifers and finally numerous flowerbeds with rhododendrons, hydrangeas and other Heather earth shrubs.
The main door opens on to a large hall where a neo-gothic gallery and a staircase lead up to the first floor and to the reception rooms as well as a large bedroom and its en-suite bathroom. A large staircase with wrought iron railings leads up to the second floor.
At the back, a stone staircase leads up to a terrace opening in to an entrance and then the kitchen and a back staircase leading straight to the upper floors.
Finally a third access is possible via a sally-port and the semi-buried basements. The castle comprises 12 bedrooms and 11 bathrooms over three floors or rather six split-levels.
The six bedrooms on the second floor vary in size (15 to 45 m2) and all have a fireplace, some with monumental fireplaces, others with smaller ones, as well as adjoining or en-suite bathrooms.
The third floor comprises a large loft with kitchen area, bathroom and two bedrooms.
In the old dungeon, two bedrooms and two bathrooms open out on to a little crenellated terrace with a flagpole.
The stud farm comprises three houses and storage area made up of fifty or so stalls scattered around the property. The houses, located approx. eight hundred metres from the castle have two to five bedrooms and one or two bathrooms. They are all in acceptable condition and were recently rented out. Each has its fuel heating system and their own septic tank. Depending on the intended use of the property, minor or more extensive works could be envisaged.
Group of buildings
The houses of the former 1820 model farm are mainly located close to the castle (apart from of course the caretaker’s lodge and the house in the woods) and some of them have kept the names they were given at that time: the clock house or the stallions’ house, laundry room, mill, press. They vary in size, from 60 to 200 m2, and in condition ranging from mediocre to good and will be in need of restoration work. They all have a kitchen and depending on their size, they have one to five bedrooms. They all have fuel heating systems.
Two offices and a small reception room as well as some sheds for farming equipment are located close to the houses.
A green house, in the middle of an old vegetable garden and orchard completely enclosed by walls has recently been renovated.
The park with French MH classification has had numerous famous visitors, the three French Empresses and Queen Victoria. It is a member of the Normandy Gardens and Parks club as well as numerous other associations. There are many bridle paths that criss-cross the grounds. Two ponds one of which with beautiful water lilies. An impressive obelisk with interior staircase is to be found in front of the castle.
An old tennis court.
This French Manderley style property is like living in one of Jane Austen or Dickens’s novels.
Here it is possible to live in complete self-sufficiency thanks to its vegetable garden, orchards, farming, lakes, woods, meadows and its nineteen houses that are just waiting to be modernised.
To be able to walk in the park that the three Empresses Joséphine, Marie-Louise and Eugénie visited not to mention the Queen Victoria and the Emperors Napoléon III and Pedro 1st of Brazil, is magical.
Why not relaunch one of the most famous stud farms of the 19th century and their red and white riding jackets or just simply enjoy the view of some horses and other animals grazing freely? This could become part of your daily routine.
|Land registry surface area||145 ha 86 a 14 ca|
|Main building surface area||1100 m2|
|Outbuilding surface area||3000 m2|
|Number of bedrooms||12|
Jean Gatellier +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.