where the Charente and Dordogne department boundaries meet
This property stands on the outskirts of a little Dordogne village along the road between Angoulême and Brantôme, the “little Venice of the Périgord region”. The densely wooded region features a wealth of picturesque villages, old stone and heritage such as Villebois-Lavalette castle or the Charente’s “Little Versailles”, the crazy dream of the Réthoré brothers, both nearby. This house is barely an hour from Périgueux and just 30 minutes from Angoulême, a town with chocolate factories, capital of the comic strip and renowned for its annual Circuit-des-Remparts classic car race. Capital of the Charente department, Angoulême’s TGV train station provides links to Paris taking exactly 2 hours.
The main edifice
The main edifice, with its gable roof, is laid out in a U-shape over two levels, delimited by a horizontal string course. The main building facing the courtyard has a tall, central, arched doorway, the pilaster surround of which is topped with a triangular pediment. The ground floor, constructed from dressed stone, features semi-circular arched openings, with raised dressed stone surrounds. Upstairs, the drop-arch windows stand out because of their red brick surrounds. The exterior of the large side is also enhanced with a protruding triangular pediment. The architecture on this side features quarry stone blocks between the openings, half-mooned-shaped oculi. And lastly, each end on the courtyard side is adorned with a triangular pediment. The first floor is accessed via an outside stairway going up the end of the left wing.
The vast rooms in the main building, laid out one ither side of the vestibule, have not been converted in any way. A large barn, awaiting restoration, runs the length of the east wing. The west wing is undergoing conversion works. Adjoining the latter, a small caretaker’s cottage has been converted to house an open-plan kitchen and dining room, a bedroom and a shower room.
This floor surface area has not been converted in any way. The height of the roof in the central rooms on either side of the main entrance hall creates a cathedral effect.
Accessing the property, visitors have to pass alongside the site of the old chateau, a forewarning of the character of these premises. The impression that immediately comes to mind is that the grandiose, and this might appear contradictory, has remained humble courtesy of the natural setting. Undeniably, the harmony between the edifice and its surroundings will appeal and will undoubtably reinforce the next buyer’s interest in large architectural properties. It is worthy of note that, amongst the many possible projects, one of the farm sheds could easily become an indoor riding arena.
|Land registry surface area||5 ha|
|Main building surface area||1000 m2|
|Number of bedrooms||1|
|Outbuilding surface area||1000 m2|
Ariel Dormeau +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.