near to Saint-Malo and Mont-Saint-Michel Bay
Just a few minutes from Saint-Malo, the Emerald coast and Mont-Saint-Michel Bay, a dynamic coastal area combining a wealth of heritage and natural surroundings with economic and tourist centres. Rance Valley, the beaches and all the infrastructures and amenities of the Corsaire City of Saint-Malo are within easy reach. This property stands on the outskirts of a town with 1,900 inhabitants, local shops and a train station. Paris can be reached via two daily 2¼-hour, TGV train links. Rennes is 60 km away. Dinard airport and the ferry port are both 20 minutes away.
The original chateau was constructed at the beginning of the 18th century by Bonabes-de-Rougé. It was destroyed and then rebuilt using Gênes marble and Chausey granite in 1776 on the same site as the old building by the wealthy Le-Fer-de-La-Saudre family, shipowners from Saint-Malo.
With a rectangular layout, it is flanked on all four corners by a tower with a candlesnuffer roof. The facades comprise nine bays, the three central ones forming a projection. The hip slate roof features roof dormers, with triangular pediments, vertically aligned with the bays. The projection on the courtyard facade is topped with a triangular pediment, including a coat-of-arms, and is preceded by a double porch. The walls are covered with a light-coloured rendering, from which stands out the darker coloured granite used for the quoins, the surrounds framing the openings and the projection, a feature commonly used on local houses.
This chateau spans three levels over a semi-underground basement and under an attic floor.
The lower section running under the entire chateau can be reached via an opening under the porch in the main courtyard, as well as via a back stairway.
Double entrance doors open into a vast hall, paved with large, square, black and white stone tiles laid in a chessboard pattern. On one side, the main monumental stairway, with wrought iron railings, is made of Carrara marble.
This level, housing numerous reception rooms, has undergone major works as part of a rehabilitation project, leaving exposed load-bearing walls and marble-paved floors. It is extremely bright courtesy of its numerous windows and its very high ceilings.
The chapel, still in its original condition, was laid out in one of the towers in 1891. Another tower houses a back stairway.
A second set of double doors, symmetrical to the first set, can be reached via a porch preceded by a few steps and opens on to the sunniest facade.
The main stairway goes up to the first floor, a large surface area awaiting renovation.
Reached via the back stairway, the attic space spans a large, available surface area, widely illuminated via numerous roof dormers.
Facing one another, these pavilions flank the chateau. They are constructed from granite stone blocks, topped with slate roofs. Spanning three floors, they each have a conversion potential of approx. 350 m².
Group of buildings
The chateau’s annexe buildings, grouped together on one of the banks of the canal, comprise: an old stable, spanning a surface area of approx. 150 m², with a 50 m², semi-open section, old storage areas spanning 70 m² and another stone outbuilding, with a slate roof, spanning approx. 120 m². They all await a new vocation.
This cottage stands at the entrance to the estate. It spans a floor surface area of approx. 120 m² over two levels. It comprises a lounge, a kitchen, a shower room, three bedrooms, a bathroom and a toilet. It is home to the caretaker responsible for the upkeep of the estate.
This stately dovecote, dating from 1665, is a vestige of the old castle which, at the time, dealt out justice in the village.
This tennis court, near to the dovecote, bears witness to the leisure activities enjoyed by the estate’s residents.
Large old greenhouses are to be found below the terraces, behind the chateau.
This sale is intended for investors with projects which will preserve this landscape, a local heritage gem. A unique panoramic view extends from the terrace, a vestige of a French formal garden, over Mont-Saint-Michel Bay. Chateaubriand admired it in his “Memoirs from Beyond the Tomb”, describing it as “a magnificence of which we in Paris have no idea”. Like a flagship, protected by its outbuildings, the terrace and its buttresses, this chateau appears to float on a verdant expanse. The peaceful surroundings then add the finishing touches to this property’s overall attraction. The outbuildings are full of potential for development. The entire estate is an abundant source of ideas for activity projects in a region that attracts not only lovers of the sea but also heritage enthusiasts. The location of these premises, just five kilometres from the sea, will be a great boost for all activities linked to green, coastal and maritime tourism.
|Land registry surface area||26 ha 26 a 20 ca|
|Main building surface area||1900 m2|
|Number of bedrooms||15|
|Outbuilding surface area||1200 m2|
Béatrice Viel +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.