a Directoire-style house and its enclosed garden of almost 2,000 m²
L'Isle-Adam was for a long time the holiday resort of the most distinguished noble families. At the age of 18, Honoré de Balzac discovered l’Isle-Adam and immediately fell in love with the place. Several of his novels contain descriptions inspired by his encounters and walks in the small bourgeois town. Jean-Honoré Fragonard frequently stayed there and in 1872, the landscape painter Jules Dupré moved into a house where he set up a large studio with an unobstructed view of the Oise.
Built on the Ile de la Cohue, named after the crowds that used to gather to attend festivities under the Ancien Régime, the 1750 house stands proudly on the banks of the Oise, its garden at its feet. Schools, the beach, numerous shops and one of the most beautiful markets in France are nearby. The property is forty kilometres from the centre of Paris. From the L'Isle-Adam - Parmain station, only a five-minute walk away, it takes fifty minutes to get to the capital by train (line H).
The main house abuts the Cabouillet bridge, its style is inspired by the Directoire period. Numerous windows have been created on three sides of the house, all fitted with shutters. The property is built over three levels and has a slate roof. The attic has been converted into a flat of approximately 60 m². The front door is on the street side. The south-facing façade opens onto a 60 m² terrace featuring a summer kitchen. The first outbuilding lies at the end of the terrace.
To the left of the entrance is the fitted and equipped kitchen, with all windows opening onto the Cabouillet bridge and the Oise. It is large enough to enjoy meals with a view of the river. To the right is a first living room, opening onto the terrace, with a fireplace with a classic white stone mantle. The dining room connects with the second living room, the latter boasting some stained glass windows. On this level, there is a laundry room with access to the terrace, as well as stairs leading to both the upper floors and the two cellars.
Accessed by two varnished flights of stairs, it offers four bedrooms, one of which is 20 m² with a bathroom, an office that can easily be converted into a walk-in closet and a shower room. The floor is paved with oak herringbone parquet. The period patina has been remarkably preserved.
A first outbuilding connecting the terrace and the main house. With a surface area of 70 m² and half-timbering on the upper part of the main facade, it comprises a small living room, a kitchenette and a bathroom with toilet. The first floor offers a bedroom and an office. The ground floor is paved with original terracotta tiles. The complex could become a guest house, a remote working space or a workshop.
The second outbuilding of approx. 40 m² is a small refurbished house delicately placed at the bottom of the garden with its terrace facing east. It has a fully equipped kitchen linked to the living room and a bedroom upstairs with a shower room and separate toilet.
Entirely enclosed by walls and gates, it has direct access to the banks of the Oise. From the terrace, the large and imposing stone staircase leads visitors to the expanses of lawns and paths that allow them to stroll around hidden from prying eyes. This garden, which has been maintained with passion, offers many species of trees and shrubs. Palm trees, bamboo, laurels, pine trees, wisteria, roses, apple trees, cherry trees, banana trees and fig trees coexist with a variety of colourful and fragrant plants. Enchanting and peaceful, an ancient circular pool completes this feeling of fulfilment and intimacy.
The two-vehicle carport is accessible from the towpath. At the back, two small rooms are used as a shed.
Located in the historic city centre, the property is a haven of peace and quiet, living to the sound of the gently lapping water. Suspended in time, this privileged place, improbable in the middle of the city and perfectly maintained, has kept its charm and authenticity. The breathtaking views of the Cabouillet bridge, the Oise River reflecting the sun, the green banks of the river, the mute swans, huge cormorants, laughing gulls and ducks turn the place into a timeless refuge. On top of this, the two outbuildings could be used to generate interesting rental income.
|Land registry surface area||1920 m2|
|Reception area||60 m2|
|Living space||422 m2|
|Number of rooms||12|
|Number of bedrooms||5|
|Possible number of bedrooms||8|
Nathalie Dubreuil +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.