and its garden on an avenue in Paris’ 11th arrondissement
For centuries, the districts of Faubourg-Saint-Antoine and Sainte-Marguerite in Paris’ 11th arrondissement were renowned for their craft industries and abounded in cabinet makers, furniture varnishers, gilders, inlayers and upholsters. From these far-off days remain numerous buildings and narrow streets, where chefs and fashions designers have taken up residence, in a trendy, bohemian atmosphere.
The location is ideal: between Place-de-la-Bastille and Place-de-la-Nation, not only near to the verdant Square-Trousseau, with its centuries-old trees and its music stand, but also not far from the verdant stretch, known as “Coulée-Verte”. Rue-d’Aligre and its daily market are less than 500 m away. As regards transport, Ledru-Rollin underground station (line 8) is but a 3-minute walk.
This edifice constructed in 1882 by architect William-Hansen stands on a wide, tree-lined avenue. With its protruding section housing a large, round, stained-glass rosace, topped with a sculpted pediment depicting an open bible, the facade equivocally reveals its religious vocation.
The last set of double, moulded doors gives access to the building’s wide stairway, under which has been installed a toilet. This balanced, oak wood stairway, with its curved handrail, supported on a vertical row of round, iron bars with gadroon decoration, goes up to the first floor. The area on this level, under a 6.70 m high ceiling, is widely illuminated via two stained-glass windows, overlooking the garden, and the large, round, 2.50 m wide rosace, looking out over the road.
Along each side, in line with the rosace, three stained-glass windows symmetrically top eight columns, their straight bodies crowned with Corinthian order capitals supporting semi-circular arches. Under said arches, various alcoves have been laid out to form new living rooms. Here, a fully fitted kitchen looks out over the stairwell through a wide glazed fanlight.
The alcoves opposite the kitchen, concealed behind glazed, ironwork doors, have been converted into two separate bedrooms on either side of a third area, laid out as a bathroom, with a tinted concrete floor and a separate toilet.
This former protestant temple, in one of the most highly sought-after districts of Paris, stands like a citadel, a refuge in the middle of the city. The atmosphere within its tall, protective walls is peaceful, the materials noble. Exposed, almost severe stone blends with glass and concrete, resulting in a plain interior that simply exudes spirituality. These unique premises, full of character, will appeal to the bold and daring, to aesthetes and to builders courtesy of the breath-taking size of their rooms, the entrancing light filtered through their stained-glass windows and the outside area right in the centre of the French capital. With such potential, said would-be buyers can easily bring their dreams and their creativity to fruition.
|Reception area||170 m2|
|Living space||285 m2|
|Number of rooms||5|
|Number of bedrooms||2|
|Possible number of bedrooms||6|
|Surface Garden||60 m2|
|Number of lots||6|
|Annual average amount of the proportionate share of expenses||1250 €|
Guillaume Naa +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.