an hour from Paris, 30 minutes from Charles-de-Gaulle and Marne-la-Vallée
Paris is 60 km away, Charles-de-Gaulle airport and Marne-la-Vallée are 30 km away. And yet, this property is in the midst of a lively, old village in the Brie region, with a bakery, a mini-market, a café and a garage. It also has a restaurant that does outside catering as well as a newsagent which nowadays are real luxuries.
The facade reflects the delicate but plain and subtle lines of 18th century architecture. This impressive, but not ostentatious house is clearly a good example of its construction era. Spanning three levels with five bays, the building is of a balanced size and completed by an extension on one side, topped with a five-sided roof. Visitors are immediately struck by the symmetry created by the four protruding vertical string courses, with the solid wood, double entrance doors in the centre. They then remark the large number of windows, exuding an eminently welcoming air. In keeping with French tradition, the decoration of these openings is characterised by forms that are richer on the ground floor than on the upper floors. Semi-circular-arched pediments crown the ground-floor windows, moulded cornices supported on triglyphs are on the first floor, and the top floor features panels in the form of architraves above the windows. The luminous side of the facade is further enhanced by the delicate pale pink of the upper walls, the colour contrasting with the slatted shutters no doubt installed in the 19th century. The garden facade is similar, making the house extremely homogenous.
This large house therefore inspires a timeless and luminous elegance that justifies the reputation of 18th century architecture.
The entrance door is all on a level with the ground as porches did not become fashionable until the 19th century. A vestibule, with stone flooring, houses a large stairway, decorated with a cast-iron post, and sets the tone of a first-class house. Said vestibule leads to all the reception rooms. On the right-hand side, a vast lounge upsets the codes with its astonishing 1950’s atmosphere. In fact, the decoration was revamped at this time, with light-coloured floor tiles, a low, cubic fireplace, with a brick mantel, a curved arch creating two separate areas and a straight, rectilinear cornice on the ceiling. On the left-hand side, a more classical style dining room is able to seat a dozen guests. It features a period fireplace that faces two decorative alcoves. These through reception rooms, steeped in light, communicate with the outside courtesy of large windows. The ground floor is completed by a kitchen, with direct access to the dining room. An everyday eating area, windows overlooking the parklands, the warmth of its little wall tiles, reflecting their orange hues, its glazed door opening on to the outside and its vintage cupboards make this a real living room.
A landing, with black and white floor tiles laid in a chessboard pattern, provides access to four bedrooms and two bathrooms. Both the two main bedrooms have fireplaces. Copious amounts of light and wallpaper reflecting shimmering colours encourage residents to linger.
A central landing, paved with old terracotta tiles, gives access to three bedrooms and a bathroom on the top floor. A laundry room completes this level.
The building is constructed over a basement level with several storage areas, including a boiler room.
On the right-hand side of the house, a vast garage can take up to three cars and be used as storage space. On the left-hand side, a garden shed is concealed amongst the foliage.
The landscape parklands surrounding the house provide a setting for both main facades. At the back, a gravel terrace runs alongside the building in front of a vast lawn which, itself, opens on to a panoramic view of the countryside. In fact, the perimeter wall disappears to embrace a view taking in the fields and the tall trees on the horizon. On the left-hand side of the house, a lawn extends between centuries-old trees, providing a more private woody atmosphere. On the right-hand side, decoratively trimmed yew trees and a little, rectangular lawn bring a French formal garden to mind. The parklands were designed by the great 1930’s landscape architect, Jacques-Greber, who, amongst other things, created Paris’ Trocadero Gardens.
This is not only a family home, but also an ideal house for entertaining, constructed at the time of literary salons and philosophers. Amongst its residents were a mayor of the village during the 19th century as well as a member of the French Council of State in the 1950’s, both having left memories of wonderful parties. Ever exuding a pleasant air, this property derives its longevity from a balance between home and social lives. The house is a good compromise between an urban and a country home. The town with its professional opportunities is at hand with the proximity of the Ile-de-France region’s economic centres: Paris, Marne-la-Vallée and Charles-de-Gaulle airport. The countryside is there, with the parklands around the house, the state forest, the banks of the river Marne and the towpaths along the Ourcq canal, all providing some wonderful walks.
|Land registry surface area||4667 m2|
|Main building surface area||300 m2|
|Number of bedrooms||7|
|Outbuilding surface area||50 m2|
Jérôme Ferchaud +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.