in the midst of the historic district of Vichy, classified as a World Heritage site by UNESCO
Vichy, built on the banks of the river Allier, on the edge of the Limagne plain and the Bourbonnais mountains, has recently been classified as a World Heritage site by Unesco. Abounding in prestigious architectural and cultural heritage, it has been known for its springs since time immemorial. Near to the Art Nouveau opera house, the spa district and Europe’s biggest thermal spa centre. Just a stone’s throw from six English, colonial style chalets that accommodated Napoleon III and his imperial entourage. Vichy-Charmeil airport, which receives private flights from all over France and overseas, is 5 minutes away. The SNCF train station has links to Paris-Bercy taking less than 3 hours and 2-hour links to Lyon.
Several doors provide access to the building and lead into the old hotel’s prestigious reception room. Double glazed doors, with fanlights, decorated with wrought iron bunches of grapes and ribbons, open into the main entrance hall. On either side are columns, topped with capitals adorned with scrolls. The back entrance is composed of a discreet door further along the street. A third entrance via the patio is protected by metal gates. This is the old passageway that led guests into the hotel. The last access is around the back of the building. It is protected by a plain wrought iron gate, facing the row of English style houses, constructed for accommodating the officers of the imperial guard.
The Pleiades Room
This old reception room of the Majestic Hotel has been converted into a centre for training future professional dancers and dance teachers. Every year since 2005, it has held various classical jazz dance classes, taught by some of the greatest choreographers such as Rick-Odums or Alain-Gruttadauria. This vast room, with its numerous large picture windows, has a 9 metre high ceiling. It is richly decorated in the neo-classical style. Mirrors adorn the arcades, topped with lion’s heads and ribbons. They face the bow windows, of a similar size, opening on to the terrace and the parterre of flowers and shrubs.
Three original light fittings illuminate the gallery with its coving sculpted with flowers, foliage and ribbons. Columns topped with capitals complete the decor.
The upstairs is reached via two stairways that communicate on the first floor. A gallery provides access to offices, to bathroom and toilet facilities as well as to two old orchestra loggias. The ironwork on the balconies is sober. A second level makes it possible to reach a terrace with balusters that spans the full floor surface area of the building.
The current owners of this building, with great historic value, have preserved the prestigious character of these premises. Ideally positioned in the luxurious district of Vichy, this building will no doubt lend itself to a variety of miscellaneous projects. A commercial activity, conversion into a work place and why not rental of offices for those seeking to work from home as well as the division and transformation of the basement into private garages are but a few examples of the potential of these premises.
|Land registry surface area||1044 m2|
|Main building surface area||1500 m2|
Nelly Parisot +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.