in the historic centre of Dijon, once the capital of the Dukes of Burgundy
In the semi-pedestrian, historic town centre, just a stone’s throw from Dijon TGV train station, with its 1½-hour links to Paris or Lyon and its 2-hour links to Lausanne. Motorways leading to Paris, Lyon and Geneva. The town of Dijon is classified as an International Gastronomy and Wine Centre by UNESCO.
Constructed as of 1761, the buildings reflect the neo-classical style which took its inspiration from antique architecture and followed plans drawn up by Nicolas Lenoir (1733-1810). The “Petit Hôtel Berbisey”, in accordance with the usual layout of 17th century mansion houses, is set out around a square courtyard, the edges of which are enhanced with a building on the street on the north side, a building on the east side of the courtyard, connecting the building on the street and the main building laid out between the courtyard and the garden; a gallery on the west side giving access via a main stairway to the reception floor in the main building. The latter, set between courtyard and garden, is flanked by two wings set at right angles, looking out over the private garden. This garden, laid out as a terrace between the two wings and a section planted with numerous varieties of trees and shrubs (olive, Judas, Mexican orange, Portuguese laurel, Japanese maple), is enclosed by walls surrounded, in turn, by gardens. It faces Sainte-Anne church, constructed between 1699 and 1709. The latter is now the Sacred Art Museum.
The main courtyard
A monumental entrance porchway provides access to four buildings flanking the completely paved, main courtyard, spanning approx. 120 m².
The outbuilding on the street on the north side features architecture enhanced with curves on the interior facade. Once given over to the stables, it is now rehabilitated and comprises a co-owned building spanning three levels and housing several flats and a studio flat. The latter is included in the sale. A bust of Jean-de-Berbisey, the Burgundy parliament’s first president, takes pride of place on the north building’s interior facade.
The east building, partially built over cellars, is composed of three studio flats on three levels. All are included in the sale.
The west building, totally included in the sale, features an impressive main stairway, followed by a gallery, leading to the first floor of the main building.
This gallery, which is repeated on the ground floor, houses a workshop as well as a woodstore and is but waiting to be reopened.
And lastly, the courtyard is shared with the co-owned building (four owners). It can take three carparking spaces, most of which are for the use of the main lot described above.
The main building
The north facade of the main building is adorned with a Burgundy stone, bas-relief coat-of-arms belonging to the Berbisey family, flanked with garlands and showing a grazing ewe. This building spans two levels, topped with converted attic space. It is partially built over a cellar which houses the central heating system.
The entrance door opens into a vestibule, providing access to a lounge as well as a dining room and a kitchen. An oak wood stairway goes to the upper floors. The French ceilings are more than 4 metres high. The vast lounge opens via three French windows on to the garden and is, therefore, very bright. The view from the terrace and the garden is a privilege, enhanced by that of the timeless neighbour, Sainte-Anne church. A Burgundy stone fireplace is in good working order. The east wing, houses the dining room, adjoining the kitchen and opening on to the terrace. The kitchen looks out over the garden via its windows and French window. In the west wing, the lounge communicates with a bedroom, all on a level, and its shower room with a separate toilet. Like the kitchen, this small flat looks out over the terrace or the garden via three windows and two French windows. And lastly, the ground floor of the main building also communicates with a studio flat in the building to the left of the main courtyard, intended for housing friends or guests, with a separate entrance possible.
The landing provides access to the main bedroom and two other bedrooms. The main bedroom opens via two French windows on to a stone balcony, with its wrought iron railings. Facing south, the view over the garden takes in Sainte-Anne church and its characteristic copper dome. The Versailles pattern parquet flooring is adorned with ebony inlays. This exotic wood blends with a black marble fireplace, adorned with small columns. Adjoining the main bedroom are a study and, in the east wing, a dressing room, followed by a bathroom with a separate toilet. Both of the bedrooms in the west wing have their own bathrooms with toilets. A linen room completes this section. And lastly, as on the ground floor, the studio flat in the building to the left of the main courtyard can be accessed via the first floor, with a separate entrance possible.
Three bedrooms complete with a shower room and toilet. The east and west wings house attic space, which could be converted. Both areas are illuminated via dressed stone roof dormers. And lastly, as on the two previous floors, the studio flat in the building to the left of the main courtyard can be reached via the main building, with a separate entrance possible.
The “Petit Hôtel Berbisey” represents the quintessence of the neo-classical style. Its privileged location in the town of gastronomy, with its museums and large monuments, as well as its exceptional view make this a rare home for a family seeking a certain lifestyle. This property is worthy of the great wines from the nearby Burgundy vineyards. Its listing as a French Historical Monument also allows for deductions on taxable income for the garden as well as the buildings. And lastly, whilst ensuring the integrity of the main building and the garden, the various flats and studio flats could be used to provide rental income. This is a golden opportunity not to be missed as the town of Dijon is witnessing the sale of one of its last mansion houses.
|Land registry surface area||900 m2|
|Main building surface area||562 m2|
|Number of bedrooms||11|
Michel Monot +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.