1½ hours from Paris in the French department of Yonne
Less than 10 km from Sens, a dynamic town with some 30,000 inhabitants and direct links to Paris by road (1½ hours via the A6 or A5 motorways) or by train (55 minutes to Paris-Bercy). It also has a great wealth of heritage, in particular, France’s first gothic cathedral. About 40 km from Fontainebleau.
This property stands outside of a village with 600 inhabitants. A little tarmac road crosses through fields and woods to the mill in its natural setting. The old caretaker’s cottage, approx. 200 m away, is the only neighbour.
The origins of this mill are very old. The current owner has a copy of the act of sale drawn up in 1660 when the nuns from the neighbouring convent, owner at that time, sold the mill to the local lord, forcing local peasants to have their wheat ground there.
This mill faces east-west. A tall, robust building, spanning approx. 300 m² over three levels, it is constructed from stone and is partially rendered. It has numerous openings, fitted with solid shutters, on both facades. The roof features roof dormers. The attic space of a lower, communicating section has been converted. Five bedrooms, a vast living room also used as a dining room, a fitted kitchen and a small lounge. The voluntarily rustic decor still has its original features: floor tiles dating from 1900 as well as terracotta floor tiles, French ceilings, strip pattern parquet flooring, built-in cupboards and a brick fireplace. The decor upstairs is plain: each bedroom has its own recently converted shower room. A room in the attic space, featuring the exposed roofing framework is currently in use as a study. A cellar houses a wood-fired boiler. The ground floor rooms on the courtyard side are currently laid out as a workshop, an exercise room and a storage room. The old turbine is still in place and is but waiting for expert hands to give it back its initial function.
The outbuildings and the parklands
Surrounding the central courtyard and facing the mill, a barn (with two horse loose boxes), a wooden shed, a garage with wooden flooring forming an upstairs, on the other side, four horse loose boxes and a tack room, whilst further on there is an old dairy; together, they span a total surface area of approx. 300 m².
Five hectares surround the property on all sides. They are essentially composed of woods, enclosed meadows with animal shelters, a garden section with a terrace and a 1,200 m² sandy schooling arena. Water is omnipresent (millrace, brook, swimming area at the foot of the waterfall).
Vestiges of the mill include the millrace, the waterfall, the turbine and, above all, the setting, forming natural parklands all on its own. On one side, the fish and the water, on the other, the horses, the meadows and the schooling arena.
Would-be owners seeking to live here simply have to enjoy listening and know how to contemplate: the spectacle is constant.
With five bedrooms, a family can move into the premises immediately. The equestrian facilities and the buildings which could be converted make it possible to envisage other private or professional projects.
This property remains welcoming despite the austere air exuded by the materials used and the robust appearance inherent in mill architecture.
|Land registry surface area||5 ha 17 a|
|Main building surface area||300 m2|
|Outbuilding surface area||300 m2|
|Number of bedrooms||5|
Yves Delloye +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.