In the south of Burgundy, a former 17th century monastic house
and its outbuildings on about 3000m² of land
Charolles, SAONE-ET-LOIRE burgundy 71120 FR


The TGV stations of Mâcon-Loché and Le Creusot, each with a 1h30 rail link to Paris, as well as the access to the A6 motorway (Paris/Lyon/Marseille), are located approximately 45 minutes away. Geneva is a 2h30 drive from the property. The cities of Mâcon, Moulins, Roanne and Chalon-sur-Saône, located equidistant from the property, are easily accessed by the “Route Centre-Europe Atlantique” (RCEA).
In the heart of an unspoilt area with no noise pollution, the house is surrounded by hedged meadows, serving as pastures for Charolais cattle. Five minutes from the house, the pleasant town of Charolles, crossed by rivers and featuring picturesque houses, offers all the essential shops and services. For the quality and authenticity of its environment and its strong identity, the Charolais-Brionnais region is currently in the process of being classified by UNESCO.


In the heart of a rural village and surrounded by a stone wall, the estate was designed in the 17th century for monastic use, the main building remains the principal witness of these times. It kept a religious purpose until the 19th century, when its agricultural vocation, with the development of cattle rearing and the Charolais breed, was affirmed by the construction of a vast and long stone outbuilding, perpendicular to the main house. Other outbuildings, such as a henhouse, a carport and a bread oven surround the main complex.

The house

Built in 1604 on a massive quadrangular plan, it is partly erected on cellars, two storeys high and topped by an imposing hipped roof of the same height, clad with flat tiles and in very good condition. In the 19th century, two sheds were added to the north and south gables. On the east facade, a modern rendering conceals the character of the building, but a door with an arched lintel and the order of the windows on the first floor have been retained. On the west facade, the ground floor structure is concealed under a plaster rendering, while the first floor retains a striking cloister supported by stone pillars. As the two levels are independent, we can assume that the original structure consisted of two separate living quarters on an upper and a lower cloister with the noble floor on the first level. To the north, a covered passageway crosses the building.

Ground floor
It was completely refurbished in the 1970s. Today, it offers 35m² of two large partitioned spaces, which have retained their currently concealed beamed ceilings. Follow various rooms under the west cloister and two sheds to the south. To the north, a covered tiled passages leads to a separate workshop with a beamed ceiling and a carved stone fireplace, and to a woodshed. Both were once used as living quarters.
First floor
The first floor is accessed from the covered passageway by an external stone staircase. A remarkable 14-metre long cloister runs along the western facade of the building. It is supported by six octagonal carved stone pillars and was once covered by an inverted ship's hull roof frame. It gives access to two large rooms with beamed ceilings and two massive stone fireplaces, one of which features a carved medallion dated 1604. Follows an unfinished room with again a beamed ceiling and terracotta floor tiles.
The whole building is topped by a high roof frame, open to the cloister and clad with very recent flat tiles.
Under the southern third of the building lie two cellars, one of which is vaulted.

The outbuildings

Farmhouse building
The stone building, about 40 metres long, was built in 1831 and extended in 1846. It comprises four stables and a barn with large volumes. A flat tile gable roof tops the frame. The limestone door lintels, slightly arched, are quite elegant.
At the entrance to the property, a stone outbuilding for farmyard animals has been extended by a shelter for two cars.
Bread oven
To the west, a lower stone building was used for the barnyard animals. Further on sits a 17th-century building with two imposing bread ovens and a high stone recess.

The grounds

After delimitation, its surface area will be approximately 3000m², evenly distributed around the buildings. It consists of a courtyard surrounded by a stone wall in front of the buildings and a grassy area extending to the meadows at the rear. A well completes the complex.

Our opinion

This former rural estate will delight any enthusiast who wishes to restore the architectural and historical elements of the property. These are obvious and have not yet revealed all their secrets. The very good structural and structural condition of the buildings will help. The outbuildings, by their size and diversity, will easily adapt to any new use. In addition, the rural environment and quality features of the property will enhance the value of the finished work.

350 000 €
Fees at the Vendor’s expense

See the fee rates

Reference 506269

Land registry surface area 3000 m2
Main building surface area 200 m2
Number of bedrooms 5
Outbuilding surface area 320 m2

French Energy Performance Diagnosis

Southern Burgundy

Gautier Dumontet +33 1 42 84 80 85



send to a friend Pinterest linkedin Facebook

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.

By continuing your navigation, you accept the use of cookies to offer you services and offers adapted to your centers of interest and to measure the frequentation of our services. Learn more